Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hurricane Gustav

So I have now been to New Orleans, Louisiana twice in my life. I even spent six weeks there. I even can call it a home because I want to go back there again sometime in the future. That is how much I loved being there.

And because I feel such a love for Louisiana I have been reading a lot about Hurrican Gustav. This time if the storm hits, I know people that live there that could be deeply affected by this event. It makes it seem so much more real because in the pictures they show places that I have actually visited.

And isn't crazy that we can see this storm coming but we cannot do anything to stop it? No amount of technology in the world can stop a hurricane with thousand mile per hour winds. We can try and protect the houses with sand bags and what not. But we can't just continue on in our lives.

This realization hit me today that no matter how much the knews reports about this storm, they can't make it go away. It is going on the route it chooses. Maybe Louisiana will get lucky and it will suddenly change direction but we can't tell Hurricane Gustav to do this or coax him to stop his howling.

It just made me realize the prestige and power that this storm carries with it.

No comments: