Sunday, August 17, 2008

Reading Corner

So I just finished reading an amazing book. I call it amazing because it really got me thinking. It is called Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. The author is Indian and writes about love in this century between generations, cultures and continents. But they are not sterotypical stories of love. The writing is just so honest and brutal at times and it shows people for who they really are. Each story was narrated by an Indian person and none of the stories were connected.

None of the stories really have happy endings either. Like there is resolution but its just an honest ending. There are no couples walking off into the sunset or a couple making out when its raining. Because that is not how life ends for us ordinary people.

There is a quote from the book that I like:

"I am not the only man to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still there are times that I am bewildered by each mile that I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination"

My life is so ordinary. But that is exactly how I want it. When I think about all the good times in my life, there have been so many. So many random lunches, acquaintances, experiences, that no matter how ordinary it may seem to someone else, it is quite perfect for me.

Well that's enough reading corner for now. I recommend this book.

No comments: