Thursday, September 4, 2008

Running Goals

So I kind of met someone who is planning on starting an indoor soccer team but it won't be for a few weeks, about six to be more specific. When I say kind of, I mean that I started attending this one church on Sunday nights and a mutual friend introduced us and she said that she was starting a team, we exchanged numbers, but that was the first time we ever talked, so I am not 100% sure that this will pan out but I have hope.

Anyway, the point of all this is that I want to get back into shape. Maybe even better shape than I was in when I did actually play soccer. I have come to the realization that my knee is going to give out on me. If I wear a brace, if I don't wear a brace, it is just going to happen. But my thinking is that if I get back into shape and strengthen the muscle then when it goes out on me, it will not hurt as badly. It really does not hurt when I run, just at the beginning when I am loosening it up.

The girl that I met that wants to start the team (her name is Becca) said that the first round had already started and so that is why it will be about six weeks. My goal for that time is to be able to run for six miles, non stop.

One of the things that they say about goals is that they have to be realistic. Last year, about this time, I would definitely think that this goal was unrealistic. However, this year, I have better motivation and I would like to say that I just ran three miles. (Tomorrow we will see how my body feels.) The week before that I had been running two miles at night. So it wasn't just a random three miles.

I am super proud of myself for running those three miles, but the real challenge will be to see if I am able to run three miles tomorrow night.

And about running at night: I go at about 11:00 at night because it is the perfect draining activity that lets me just knock out for bed. You would think that the track would be empty at this time. But no, you would be wrong if you thought this. There were about 15 people that I saw during the time that I ran. That is a lot of people. I haven't decided if having people on the track while I run is helpful or detrimental to my pace. Sometimes I have the urge to show off and so I run faster but other times I am really annoyed with the people because they get in my way. You see, I am a creature of habit. (I think at one point or another, we can all attest to this statement.) One of my habits is that I run in the number four lane. I really don't know why. But oftentimes, people walk in this lane or jog slower than me in this lane and that means that I just have to run around them but I feel bad when I do this. Like I am showing off because I am running faster than them.

This is just further proof that I think too much.

Anyway, that is my goal, to run six miles. I think that if I am able to achieve this in six weeks, I am going to throw myself a party. You are all invited. And actually by writing this in a public place, I will be keeping myself accountable because I don't want to let you all down. So thank you for reading this and keeping me accountable.

2 comments:

Danielle Fletcher. said...

see Jane run!
go, Jane, go!

Danielle Fletcher. said...

also, I'm with you.
I'm going to start running tonight, even though it's not my thing.
we'll see how it goes.