Monday, May 31, 2010

Downtown.

Saturday was a wonderful day off from training.
I have a friend who is on the football team who is from Chicago. On Saturday, Austin agreed to meet me down town and show me around the city. Ironically, his dad is a pastor of a church down here that CSM frequents.


He was so proud of his city and pointed out all the cool architecture. And he knows a lot of random things. When I was taking this picture he told me that I better make his city look good.

It was Memorial Day weekend, there was a cub's game and the blackhawks were in the Stanley Cup final so there were a lot of people out and about.


We went by the bean and of course took a picture with distorted bodies. This is in Millennium Park. A while ago there was a major that made a rule that the lake front is for all the people of the city. So no businesses can build homes or industrialize it. So there are so many parks along the lake front. And gardens. And museums. And just everything.

The first place we went was here. It is called the John Hancock Center. It has apartments where people live and there are also businesses on the ground floor.



We went to the top which is ninety seven (I think?) floors up. It was insane. We stayed for a while in the Signature Lounge. It was kind of a hazy day so it wasn't that clear. Austin could point out familiar buildings in his neighborhood but I was pretty much blind when he tried to point things out.


Then we walked along the lake to this wonderful view of the city. While we were walking it didn't seem that far. But if you look at the picture we walked from the building that is on the far right with the two antennaes sticking up. We didn't walk back. Thank goodness. My knee was definitely hurting that night. Austin said it was probably three miles that we walked. And ironically, Austin also had a torn ACL that he had to get surgery on. So we related well on the walk.
We went to eat at Portillos then, which is actually in MoVal so not far from where I live but definitely have never eaten there. It was quite good. I recommend the Chicago Style Hot Dog.
I really do love the city of Chicago.

No comments: