Sunday, May 16, 2010

Choices.

It is most definitely summer break when I am posting three times in one day.

Choices.

The choices we make is what brings us to the place we are in life. I was in Barnes and Noble just a few hours ago and I saw some girls from APU. I know who they are but I'm pretty sure they would only recognize my face as one that goes to APU, if that. Even though freshman year I went to a screening of some television show and I traveled in the same car as one of those girls. (I went because Criss Angel was a judge on the show - it was about magicians - I can't even remember what that show was called). We could have potentially been friends at school because what better bonding experience is there then Criss Angel? Yeah, nothing.

Anyway, the point of this little anecdote is that we're not friends. She probably doesn't remember at all because it was just a dot in the whole scheme of her college experience and I only remember because I have a freakish good memory. (In fact, there are things that I wish I could just forget things. Make some more room for new things. But not the point.)

I am now a senior in college and its weird to think how I got to the place that I am in. Like the choices of who I became friends with. Like if I had really talked to that girl in that car would we have made a connection and then become best friends? Maybe. Maybe not.

Today I also found out that a girl in my alpha group from freshman year (alpha is the freshmen orientation to help us get better situated at school) just had a baby. And get this. She still has been going to classes this past semester. And she's a nursing student. How the heck did she accomplish that? College is a big deal. The nursing program at the school is a big deal. Having a baby is a big deal. Now let's just put all of those together. Wow.

And then on top of that, APU is a Christian school. The girl is not married. Dealing with the judgmental gazes of everyone on campus is just another thing she had to deal with. And really the judgmental gazes of everyone in society.

And then it goes back to choices. She could have just dropped out of school. Instead she kept going. Or she could have just avoided any circumstances that would lead to a baby. Yes, we all know what I'm talking about so I don't have to say it.

I like who I am right now. I like my friends. I like my major.

But sometimes....

I wonder how my life would be different if I made different choices. Became better friends with that girl from my alpha group? Maybe I would be pregnant now. Or maybe not.

Just something that I was thinking about today.

No comments: