Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Roseland/Pullman Boys and Girls Club

This is where I go everywhere morning from 9 till 2. It's a great place.

Paul Luu is the director and he is one of the coolest guys I know. He's probably early thirties, has a wife who's expecting for the first time, Chinese, born in Champaign, IL and all the kids respect him. He is not necessarily out with the kids all the time but they all know his name and just listen to him.

He is one of the people responsible for raising funds and support for the club. He always takes time out of his week the first day I bring volunteers to give them background on the club and Boys and Girls clubs in general. So here it is, as best as I can give you. I'm no Mr. Luu.

It started during the Industrial Revolution when boys needed a place to hang out during the day. And this was in Hartford, Connecticut by a group of ladies. But it was only for boys because girls were expected to help with their own home chores and what not. It was called the dash away club because mostly run aways were in it (get it?)

During Theodore Roosevelt's presidency, he officially made it the Boys Club. And then, finally, in the early nineties, it became the Boys and Girls club. They are a non profit organization and they have lobbyists in D.C. trying to raise money. (I never really understood the lobbyist profession. I just know that I would be bad at it because I'm a terrible fund raiser participant. Except when it came to girl scout cookies. But those things practically sold themselves.)
This Boys and Girls club partners with Salem Baptist church, which is the biggest church in the Chicago area and is pastored by Reverend Senator James Meeks. I hope attend this church sometime this summer. But its on the south side. And by public transportation it will take an hour and a half. And I would be ok with going by myself; I just know some of my co-hosts would be disappointed if I did that. The church isn't on this property but they do have offices here. The House of Hope that is the sanctuary/worship center for Salem Baptist is literally just down the road.

They are so blessed by their facility because they have this huge open grass area. So much room to just run around. And P.S. this week's weather has been amazing. No humidity. No random rain storms. I was wearing a jacket last night.

They also have this huge indoor facility where they can play hockey or indoor soccer or basketball. At the end of summer programming they have show that they present to all the parents. I'm sad because I'm leaving before it takes place.
But that's the way it goes. I would have to be here another two weeks. And I just got the date of when I have to be back for athletic training: August 8. I'm flying home on the third. Yep I'm pretty sure I'm going into a sleep coma those few days...

No comments: