Saturday, June 26, 2010

My new best friends.

For the rest of the summer I get the opportunity to go to Roseland/Pullman Boys and Girls club in the mornings. It is my anchor site (CSM's fancy word for the only consistent thing in our schedule). This past week was my first week there. I absolutely love it.

There are over 150 kids there with ages ranging from 6 to 14 years old. They have a rotating schedule where they go from class to class. There is an arts and crafts class, PE class, social recreation class, fine art class and education class. The kids spend only an hour at each place so that they don't get bored and cause more trouble then they already do.

There are four different age groups. The cadets are aged 6-7 and they wear the red shirts. The preps are aged 8-10 and they wear the green shirts. The juniors are 11-12 and they wear the blue shirts. And the intermediates are 13-14 and wear the grey shirts (this is by far the smallest group).

The groups that I bring go with whatever group they want and follow them from class to class. This past week, the volunteers did so good just being there and helping the staff in whatever way they could.

I was more of the supervisor and went from group to group. But if I could stay with a group it would be the cadet boys. These boys will definitely be my new best friends this summer. (This isn't all of them.)

The staff at Roseland/Pullman is also just so fun to work with. I'll probably write about them later on.

No comments: