Wednesday, June 16, 2010

GCFD.

GCFD stands for Greater Chicago Food Depository

It provides food for the greater Chicago area. It could be soup kitchens or elementary schools or really anything that needs food. Its a very highly organized place. Our group went and we got to package pasta into 3 lb bags to be labeled and packed and shipped off.

Here's some of the kids from my group. We worked in a place called the clean room. So we got to wear these highly attractive outfits.

This is the pasta we packaged. It really was barley. I never really had barley before. And after being around it for four hours, I really have no desire to add it into my diet in any way.

These are just some stats about GCFD. Its a really cool organization. It operates a lot on volunteers. There was a woman that I met there named Sandy. She works as a consultant in downtown Chicago. She is currently on vacation and decided to come volunteer at this place. How cool is that? Usually vacation means not having to stand for four hours dealing with a bunch of loud teenagers while being forced to wear a hair net. Just saying. I think she was a really cool example to the group.

Attractive, I know. Don't be jealous. I felt like I was going into surgery.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

looks alot like packaging food in Del Rio, TX for Acuna; except without gloves, masks, aprons...

Kirsty Girl said...

How amazing! You must meet so many wonderful interesting people doing this! Well done!