Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Wolff's Law

Wolff's law: a theory that states that bone in a healthy person or animal will adapt to the loads it is placed under. If loading on a particular bone increases, the bone will remodel itself over time to become stronger to resist that sort of loading (Thank you wikipedia)

We just learned about this amazing thing in our body. Basically when there is repeated stress in a certain area the body will respond. For example, at the most distal aspect of my lower leg (my right shin) there is a hard spot from continually being kicked there when I played soccer. Shin guards are obviously not miracle workers. So because it kept getting kicked there my body responded by turning the soft tissue there into a thicker layer. Okay well technically speaking this isn't Wolff's law, its Davis' law since its soft tissue but details shmetails. That isn't the point of this blog.

The point of this ramble is that I like the idea of this theory and I think that it can be applied to everything in our lives. When we keep getting hit at by life: The trials. The oppression. The rotten times. We learn to endure. We react. We respond. We get tough and learn from those hard times.

The response of our body may not be to grow a third arm, which would actually be somewhat nice in this fast pace society. But it learns to live off little sleep. Or it might learn to not bend so easily when we hear people talking about us. And I could go on forever with adaptations our body makes so that its not like getting a blister when you wear a new pair of shoes when something hard comes our way. (Does that analogy makes sense? It made sense in my head. But I think it might get lost in translation when I write it down.)

Anyway. I think currently my body is responding to my current crush. By putting this other random person in my line of sight. Now the question becomes, do I let go of this older crush or hold on because maybe, just maybe, something will come of it?

Sorry for getting all jr high in this post. I seem to be doing that lately.

1 comment:

rachel said...

that is really cool.