Saturday, September 10, 2011

Getting to know who you work with

I think I'm finally finding a groove with the players and coaches. Its been six weeks and I can honestly say I feel like I know the personality of everyone; girls sports and boys sports.

There's the nice coaches who are just thankful you're there so they will agree with what ever you say and find the information you need.

There's also the coaches who cannot think of anything but football (or volleyball depending on who) and telling them the details will get you nowhere.

And some coaches all you say is hi to because conversation beyond that is just awkward.

And then you have the players: there's the players who are the hopelessly injured. You try to get them better but the next week they just re-sprain their ankle because of their lack of athleticism. But they do have heart. So we tape their ankle and put them back on the field.

There's the player who is so endearing but he ends up getting the season ending injury. He doesn't know that part yet so he remains optimistic and dutifully shows up for treatment.

And there's also the players who are always 'hurt' but really they just need some attention.

I also deal with the player who needs some relationship advice. I really don't have any but me just listening always seems to help.

Then there's the athlete who is going to tape her ankle and continue to go full force even though she's not in season yet. So we need to try and pull her in a bit while avoiding the words 'rehab' and 'no activity' because then she'll just work harder to prove she is NOT injured.

And lastly, there's the players who are the cool kids. Is it crazy that I am still intimidated by these kids? I try to be the "cool" Miss Read but I'm pretty sure they see through my act.

And honestly, I already love all the students I interact with.

No comments: