Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Not Managing Risk


My school's weight room/fitness center is nothing to write home about. But I have come to love its quirks and look forward to my daily workouts. However, there are days when it is kind of frustrating to be in there.
As some of you may know, I have been given clearance to start running. I don't run everyday because I don't want to overdue it and hurt it again. But today, as I was walking out my apartment I grabbed my brace because I deemed today to be a running day.
Before I go on, I need to describe our gym a little more. There are two sides. I personally like to call the fitness side the girl's side and the actual weight side the boy's side. Even though both sides are co-ed, it generally doesn't feel like it. But on the boys side there is adequate space to do plyometrics and ab workouts so I, myself, frequent the boys side. I also use the leg press. And sometimes the weights when I'm feeling confident enough to be surrounded by football players that actually know what they are doing.
My daily workout starts with a bike ride, then I do some resistance exercises (that are conveniently located on the girls side) and then I venture over to the boy's side. Today I decided to do some box jumping and an ab workout. And then go back to the girls side to use the wonderful treadmills.
Except, those treadmills aren't so wonderful.
(One of them is pictured above. This picture is from an earlier group assignment about a fitness program - gotta love my major.)
There are a total of seven treadmills. Yeah, they don't all like to work. After all my working out, I put on my lovely, fashionable brace and set out to nab a treadmill. I usually am able to go at a time when its not so busy, but today that was not the case. Because all the working treadmills were taken.
Except for the one that rocks.
So I decide to just go on the elliptical and wait. But some homegirl totally got there first as another individual was getting off.
Now, I set out to this workout to get a run in. You're probably asking, well, Jane, why not just go run outside? Yes. I did think of that. But I really wasn't feeling it.
So I made my way over to the rocky treadmill and became determined to try and not get it to rock so much. There are towels that are there for cleaning so I grabbed two and wedged them under two of the points. Problem solved!
Except, not really.
But I just started running anyway. I found that if I ran in the front right corner, it didn't rock so much. So for the majority of the run, I was there.
And then came the eighteenth minute. And I might have gone a little too far to the right. And my foot might have stepped on the non moving part of the treadmill. And I might have stumbled big time.
But because of my sometimes amazing athleticism, I was able to catch myself before I face planted on the handle in front of me.
And, what's the best part is that the treadmill that I was on, was conveniently located in the back. So no one saw. And no one was walking back. It was perfect. Except, my knee twinged. Like there wasn't any pain or anything. It just felt weird. So my run was cut short and I walked the remaining time.
Risk management is one facet of athletic training that we often talk and joke about. In this case, I realized I really wasn't managing risk. I don't think I would ever let any of my athletes go on a shaky treadmill. In fact, I know there will never be a shaky treadmill in any facility I may work at - high school, college, rehab clinic, somewhere over seas - no where.
And oddly I still love our ghetto gym. I'm just now going to plan more on times when no one is there. So I can have my pick.
The end.

No comments: