Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Boys and girls.

(I don't usually blog this much. But my new resolve is to blog more. Maybe once a day. .. Nah, I don't think I have enough thoughts or happenings in my life to write about. )

But here's a new thought of mine.

I had a conversation the other day with a male friend. He's a football player and we're friends. We connected because he tore his ACL and I re-tore mine and we ended up having surgery the same day: me in Riverside and this guy up in Oregon. Now we sometimes work out together because we had a bet about who would rehab faster. Meaning who would start running first.

I won.

But anyway.

I asked him the other day "So why don't you have a girlfriend?"

He replied "They're a waste of time."

I gave him that look that I'm sometimes really good at.

He laughed and said "Ok not really. But I don't really know myself yet. And I can't really even take care of myself. And really why do I need one?"

I just changed the subject before he could ask me and I would have to give some pathetic reason because if it was up to me I wouldn't be single.

But it got me thinking. I guess I just finally realized that males and females see relationships in such different ways. Like, I always knew this and there are those books like Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus but those are books. This guy is not in a hurry to get a girlfriend. He doesn't need that companionship that girls -ok I won't speak for all girls, but I know its true for me- crave and want and cherish.

Honestly, life is so simple being single. Don't have to worry about making time for the guy. I can focus on school and athletic training and friends. But when I see how happy my sisters are and how they are living their life with the person they love, it just hits me that I don't have that yet.

So talking to this guy totally made me wake up about it all though. And it also semi-temporarily made me hate on all guys for that night. They really are just so clueless about the anguish they cause when they smile and laugh with us. But to them, its not even that big of a deal. So I'm done. Just done.

I'm also so ready for Chicago this summer.

2 comments:

Sara: said...

Janey-poo. Being single is not easy, I know. I think we've both never had a relationship? I know I haven't. I encourage you to seek God in the ways you want to be sought by a guy. Like, for me, I want to be romanced and listened to and encouraged. So, I started to seek God in those ways. It has transformed my thoughts and I have found myself so deeply in love with God it makes me get butterflies when I think of him haha! Don't hate on boys. Anyways, we need MEN not wimpy boys : ) Love you sister. Miss your face too!

Nikol Schiller said...

we're ladies. we want someone to take care of and to take care of us. we're good at companionship.

it's just how we're designed.

someone deserving needs to scoop you up.