Thursday, December 11, 2008

Laundry

So I am home for 4 1/2 weeks. I am so excited because I have been waiting for a break since mid-October. That's about when my life started to get extremely crazy.

However, coming home means moving back in. And for me that means laundry. I like starting new and so I decided to bring all my clothes home and wash everything and leave the things that I never wear here at home when I go back to school in January. So I also had the bright idea to wash all my clothes to get that clean-ness feeling in my room.

Now, I'm kind of weird and like to do laundry (and wash dishes, but that's beside the point). In fact, I get paid to do laundry at school. I'm pretty sure I posted about this before. At school we have intense machines that wash and dry the clothes. I'm pretty sure I could fit into the dryer even; that's how intense it is. (Sidenote, when I work late there, sometimes I have the irrational fear that someone is going to sneak up behind me, push me into the dryer and turn it on. Irrational. Yes. I know.) So I guess you can say I'm used to nice machines to work with.

We don't have nice machines. And by nice, I actually don't mean high quality. Because we recently upgraded our machines to new ones that a family friend was getting rid of (because they were moving to Africa not because they didn't work anymore). By not being nice, I mean that they don't always cooperate. By saying that, I guess you can say that I am personifying the machines.

Anyway, in order for the washing machine to start washing the clothes, the door has to be locked. In order for the door to lock, it has to be shut correctly. And for some reason, the door never closes correctly on the first shut. Go figure.

So it takes about two to three times to actually start the machine. And it doesn't say if its correctly locked until after a minute you close it. So you could be waiting for about five minutes before the machine starts to work. And I know, relatively speaking that five minutes is not a long time, but it is when you have other things to get done, like decorating for Christmas or baking cookies.

Luckily today, it has been closing somewhat nicely. I've only wanted to kick it two to three times because of this reason. Yes, this reason. There's more.

As I am writing this, there is still a load in the machine and it has been there since about noon (it's about five now). Why, you ask? Well because now the machine has decided for some reason to not unlock. My clothes are stuck in there. And probably by the time I get them out I will need to send them through the wash again. And I still have more loads that I want to do. It really just needs to start working now before I really do kick it (and because its metal and I'm not, it will probably hurt me more than it succeeds in making it work.)

So you might be wondering why we got rid of the old machines. One of the reasons is because the washing machine was possessed. Here's a video even:

(Excuse the mess. It actually doesn't look like that anymore. Well, for the most part.)

Washing machines are not supposed to make that sound. Unless they always have made that sound. And this washing machine had never before made that sound. I could hear it from my living room. I was home alone the first time I heard it and freaked out.

I'm pretty sure I would rather have these ancient, demon possessed machines then the ones that keep my clothes hostage.

Well, now I'm off to go and try to open the washer. Maybe the 29th time is the charm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like you got an african tribe in there

Josiah said...

did i ever tell you that one of my most traumatizing experiences as a child was being put into a dryer and had it turned on by my brothers.. yes it was warm and i spun around a few times..
good thing i turned out normal.. haha
but your fear might not be so irrational