Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Intramurals

I have another job on campus besides my wonderful laundry job.

I am a first responder for intramurals. This means that I have a backpack with bandaids and icebags and a cooler of ice and when someone gets hurt I ask them what's wrong. Technically, I'm not allowed to fully eval any injury that occurs but I sometimes do and just tell them to ice it and take it easy.

Last night there was a kid that got elbowed in the head and blood was gushing everywhere. My friend Brad works with me and he was the one that had to deal with it. I'm all for blood and guts but sometimes I just don't want to deal with some people especially when they don't seem very grateful.

Another aspect of my job is keeping score and keeping track of fouls. It is sometimes a stressful task especially when the teams take this type of competition way too seriously. One good thing about this job is that I am learning more about the nuances of basketball and the little hand signals and things like that. Some of the refs I work with make the job so much more fun. They are usually basketball players for the school and they are just there to have fun. Which is what it should be.


This is my view during the game. And the score clock that I had to figure out. Last night, I also learned how to set it all up because of people being late and what not. I have many hats on when it comes to intramurals.

Soccer starts soon. It will be my first time playing since freshman year. I'm excited.

No comments: