Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bear Country

So on Tuesday morning, I boarded a plane to go check out Baylor University. Through a series of emails I planned it out with program director of the graduate program. My thoughts about the trip was that it would be a formal interview for a position as a graduate assistant.

This was the sign that greeted me when I got off at the aiport (it only had three terminals - it was smaller than the airport in Helena, Mt. )

When I got there I stayed with two GAs who cooked me dinner and answered any questions I may have had. I'm not going to lie, there were times of extreme awkwardness but they were super nice and I'm glad I got to meet them.

Apparently, the forecast involved ice rain. So we woke up to a bitter cold with roads and sidewalks of slippery ice. I was almost completely prepared but considering my plans were to look professional, wearing tennis shoes with nice black slacks was not going to work out. Thank goodness I did not pack a skirt or anything. And thankfully, I did not eat it.

It had been on the schedule for me to check out the high school I would be interning at but the weather caused the school to be shut down. Too much ice on the ground. Texas drivers do not know how to drive on ice roads apparently: I was told that between the times of 8:00 and 10:00 there were forty wrecks in the town of Waco. ... Dang.

So instead I spent the day with Jessica, one of the GA's for football and we got to stay cozy warm in this indoor facility:

Sweet huh?
The facilities at the campus are amazing. Both the athletic training rooms for the athletes and the athletic training labs for the program. It will be a huge growing experience in the field of athletic training if I choose to go here.
I also got to sit with the program director, but it really was not a formal interview, like I thought it would be. It was more of a "Here's the program, are you interested?" And I honestly do not know anymore. I can see myself here and I loved the people I met and there will be so many experiences and I liked the classroom set up but I can also see myself elsewhere. And I don't want to give up on UIUC - even though they have not contacted me yet. Because I'm pretty sure those facilities are also just as nice as these are. (After I reread this paragraph, I realize there are a lot of run-on sentences, but that is how streams of consciousness go, so I'm not changing it. Figure it out.)
But it would be warmer in Texas. . .
Anyway, the flight home was an adventure,too. The ice in Dallas made the plane I was supposed to board late. So we took off around 6:00, landed in Houston about 6:55 and I had fifteen minutes to make it to my connection.
I made it. But just barely.
Here's the plane that only had about 24 seats and six people on the plane. It was a very new experience of me.


But the sunset was beautiful.

No comments: