Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring is here.

I went home this last friday and when I drove into my driveway there were a million of these flowers just in bloom. So of course I grabbed my camera and went on an adventure in my yard.

With all the flowers there were also a lot of bees. I have insane good luck of not getting stung but I was still anxious about the luck turning badly. But good for them doing their job and making the flowers all pretty.

And then I found this yellow flower. Not really a sunflower, but almost as big. I wanted to try and dry it and press it, but I didn't. I'm trying to come with a reason why I didn't but I can't really think of a good reason, cause really, I don't have one.
Rainbows and my white feet. Hopefully, summer will change that. Well, that's unlikely since I'll be in Chicago for the most part and as per my job, I'll probably be in closed toed shoes the whole time. But we'll see.

Anyway, I reached the gully (which is basically just a small jungle in our front yard.) And I started to feel really nostalgic about it all. I would spend hours here. We made swings from rope that we got from out dad's garage, and we would search the wood pile for the perfect seat of a swing. They were probably some of the most uncomfortable swings ever, but that didn't really matter when you're nine.
There was also this slide that is now just covered with shrubs and and branches from the pepper tree and many a dead leaf and what not.
It was weird going down there again. I don't think I have spent much time down there since middle school. But it was nice. It was a beautiful spring day and it brought back so many memories of being a weird loner kid. I remember sometimes doing my homework there. And oftentimes I would be on the swings and would make up songs. And sing them loudly.

I miss those days sometimes. Or that I took more advantage of that frivolity. We're too much in a hurry to grow up.

1 comment: