Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Scrubbing in

Yesterday I got to go into the operating room and watch one of our football players get his should worked on. It was sooo cool.

He had a SLAP lesion and his rotator cuff tendon was frayed like a sea anemone. The doctor was even surprised by how much damage was in there. He said the only thing the athlete had going for him was his youth. (Because younger people have a faster healing curve).

After having had surgery, it was weird to be in the room but not on the table. Like you are out and they just move your body to make it easy to work on. Like its just weird. I don't know if I ever want to have surgery again because I know how incredible out you are. And its a lot of work repairing tendon and labrum through these three tiny holes with only a camera to guide you as you work.

It's crazy how far technology has brought us.

I had to leave like twenty minutes before the surgery was over so I didn't get to talk to the doctor after to ask the million questions but he did talk a little about stuff with me, which was cool.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jane! that is awesome! i had no idea you got to do that! I can't wait to talk to you about it