Sunday, March 20, 2011

The End All, Be All.

Oh 'ello. It's been a while. I guess.





This past weekend was Night of Champions. It is an all day event put on by APU and FCA for elementary to high school aged kids. They come play games, eat In-n-out, get a shirt, sing some worship songs and listen to a few speakers.



I got to help out with First Aid, meaning we walk around giving kids band aids or ice and have a water station set up, so no one suffers from lack of hydration.

Here is the group that walked around. It was surprisingly eventful with a dislocated shoulder, a bloody nose, a cut-up eyebrow and other bumps and bruises.

The main speaker this year was Jordy Nelson, a current wide receiver with the Green Bay Packers.


For his talk, he sat on the stage with his chaplain and they talked about his motivation and his life. There was no defining moment for his walk with Christ, he grew up in small town Kansas, was really good at football and eventually got drafted.

He kept getting asked if it feels different after winning a super bowl and he really hasn't. There is no difference except the addition of a ring to his possessions. His wife brought clarity to the situation when she told him that this is because it was not the end all, be all of his life. Those are not the exact words he said when recounting his experience but it's my take on the situation.

We were not created to specifically win championships or to find our soulmate or to own a successful business. Those things are great and they add richness to our lives but they should not be the end all, be all. God is.

Out relationship with Jesus is what should drive us to the ends of the earth or across the street. I think I forget this sometimes. In fact, I know I do. I think that I have something to prove. That is why I'm still going to get good grades my last semester of college, that is why I am pursuing graduate study, that is why I do not procrastinate. I have to prove my worth in this world.

But really, I have worth in Christ. That is where my identity lies. That is my end all, be all. All this stuff of the world is just icing on the cake.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good reminder :) Strangely, the idea that everything I'm stupidly stressing over isn't the end all be all is a VERY peace-inducing thought.