Friday, August 20, 2010

coolest job ever.

Ok so I have been hecka busy since I've gotten back from Chicago. Well, not hecka, but moderately. I seem to not be able to stop. I slow down some. But never just stop because that is not the type of person I will ever be.

I have been helping out at football practice with APU and its been quite interesting being a senior and knowing more about football and having the players themselves respect you and ask specifically for you. Whether its to tape ankles or ask an opinion. Honestly, its not just interesting, its been great.

Today was probably my last day of helping out at APU because today I also get to start my rotation at South Hills High School. But it was a great last day:

I was standing by the Offensive line (they were doing a drill against the defensive line) when one of the players put his hand up. His ring finger was definitely not the way it was supposed to be. I was like "crap, I hope he walks to the other student that was over there." Because if he came over to me, it meant that I would have to make a decision and take care of it. And since I was closer he walked over to me. I radio-d Glory (the head athletic trainer with football) that there was a dislocated finger. He said to stabilize it and he'll be right over.

But the player kept saying, "Just put it back in."

So I took a deep breath and did just that.

Ok, honestly, it took me a few tries. But it went back in. Nothing was broken. I taped it up and he went back in the next play.

Can I just say that it was so exhilarating? If the player had come to me a year ago, I would have just waited for Glory. But honestly, I feel like I have just grown so much in this past year. And I'm excited for this next year. And the many stories I will have about the high school players.

Who knows where this life will take me. But if I am doing this the rest of my life, I'm pretty sure I would have the coolest job ever. And that was just a dislocated finger.

3 comments:

Nikol Schiller said...

ahhhhh!!!!

that's so exciting, jane!! i'm so proud!!

colechristine said...

I can see you standing there and the beauty you possessed as you rose up to the occasion and did in that moment what you love. What you cherish.
SO so proud of you!

Unknown said...

Refereeing the other night a U19 girl took off her cleat and sock to reveal her big toe had cramped up so bad it folded under her foot and up the sole of her foot as far as it was possible. It was knarly.