Sunday, September 6, 2009

Are you ready for some football?

So last night was the first home game of the season. It was intense.

Report time was 1:30. One of the first things that Glory (the athletic trainer I work with) said was to be prepared for anything. There were a lot of factors that could not be controlled like the game not being on our stadium field and it being orientation weekend which increases the amount of people on campus ten fold and causes there to be a lot going on because of all the activities.

During the actual game we are on a rotation and every quarter is when we rotate. During the second quarter I was on the sideline with Glory. The first thing he told me was that if there is an injury on the field, I'm to drop the water bottles and go out there with him.

Well, a player went down. We waited to see if he would get up and when he didn't we went out there. It was so surreal. We have a doctor that comes to the games so he came out too. The doctor immediately took over and started asking the questions. The player was saying that he got a helmet into his back and there was pain in his lower back. The doctor said that he wanted the ambulance to transport him to the hospital so Glory had me run over to get them. We spine boarded him and the paramedics took him off the field. (As a side note, the player is fine. Confidentiality if preventing me from giving you a detailed injury report.)

It was so cool because everybody had to work together to take care of this athlete. It wasn't cool that the player got hurt because that just sucks. And speaking of that iIt makes me question why I want to do this because basically my part comes in when somebody gets hurt. And the only way I can get experience and know what to do when I'm in the field on my own is when there are injuries, like this, now.

Anyway, the game went on and we ended up losing but we did score a touchdown. One of our defense players intercepted the ball, juked a player, and ran about forty yards. It was awesome.

We didn't get done with everything till about 11:00. And by everything I mean treating the players, making ice bags, and cleaning the athletic training room. It was a long day.

Next weekend we have a game in Wisconsin. And I get to travel with them. I'm so stoked.

3 comments:

firster89 said...

spine board. haha that sounds like a sport. :p

rachel said...

yay! im excited to read about your adventures.

and that's scary. but really i feel like you are the prefect person for this job. and its exciting.

Danielle Fletcher. said...

this is exciting!
not the people getting hurt part, but you being there to help them part.

I, too, have a feeling that this is somewhat perfect for you.
:)