Sunday, July 20, 2008

Things are changing

My first post. How exciting.

Last night I hung out with the Victoria Girls. That is what we call our little group that have been friends since we all attended Victoria Elementary, oh so many years ago: Cindy, Nikol, Becca, Stacey, Alicia, Danielle, Natalie and me. We went to Color me Mine, ate at the Spaghetti Factory (I think we all ordered the Mzithra Cheese) and spent the night at Cindy's house.

But things have definitely changed since we were naive little elementary aged kids. We are growing up. We are now attending college all over the United States. From right here in Riverside to San Diego to Azusa to San Luis Obispo to San Francisco to Oregon to Boston to Florida. We are all pursuing the things that we love, finding who we are and trying to not let society define us. College is a time to find ourselves and I am so happy for what is in store for all of us. It will be interesting to see how we all change from reunion to reunion. Our plan is to keep meeting up every so often but how long will that last?

However, I think we all motivated to keep meeting because we have been friends for so long, why not keep being friends?

But what is going to happen when we are older and getting married and having kids and traveling the world and pursuing our bliss? What do we really mean to each other? Could it be that we only meet every so often so that we can feel like the young carefree kids that we were, and avoid the reality of growing up?

I'm not going to lie, I like growing up. I like giving my opinion to authority figures and them actually listening instead of them brushing it off as a whim of a child. I crave the responsibility of being put in charge of an 'adult' task. How ridiculous is that?

Don't get me wrong now, I am not power hungry. If I ruled the world, there would be a lot of problems because mainly I like to avoid problems. Brush them under the rug and deal with them only when they beome such a BIG problem that it starts to implode and take everything with it.

But back to growing up, I always feel like I have been mature. I think it comes with having two older sisters that I always wanted to impress. I think sometimes I tried to be so much like them that I would have the same likes and dislikes and opinions even though I may not have necessarily agreed with them.

So now it is my goal to find the real me and continue to be the real me around everyone. Too many times have I agreed with people about liking something but not really cared for it at all. I just did not want to give my real opinion. But no more. At least that is my humble goal until the next goal comes along.

"Wait for the LORD, be strong and take heart, and wait for the LORD" psalm 27:14

No comments: