Friday, July 31, 2009

X Games

So the night before last night I could not fall asleep. I was seriously laying in bed for an hour. I was kind of just thinking and I didn't really mind it so much but I was ready to be asleep and away from my overactive imagination.

Anyway, I did what any normal person does, I went and watched t.v. And somehow I made it to ESPN where they were showing the X games and I realized just how squeamish I can get about things like that. Seriously they were jumping SO high. And then they showed Jake Brown and his thousand foot drop (ok, that's a little exaggeration in how much he dropped but it was insane how far he fell) back in 2007 or whenever that was. And then they kept showing that clip over and over at different angles. And he walked off the ramp after he fell! I didn't know that. And he's back to skating and winning medals and all that good stuff.

Well, last night (or this morning depending on how you look at it) there was a guy that fell after some jump and three people rushed out and I realized that they could have been athletic trainers or they were paramedics (but they weren't dressed as paramedics so for some reason I don't think they were these guys.) And its so true that athletic trainers could be hired for things like this. But as I was watching these jumps and cringing every time I think one of the skaters was going to fall (even though they don't end up falling) I realize I would need to get used to this kind of thing before I did that.

And I also realize that I am going to cringe every time there is a hard tackle when I'm out at football practice or games. Yeah, that's going to be hard for me to watch. Maybe by the end of the season I'll be numb to that kind of thing though.

But watching the X games was pretty cool. It makes me wish that I had skill to just ride a skateboard without falling.
Maybe one day.

No comments: